Are you in the market for a portable ultrasound machine, but are not sure what buying considerations to make? Take the time learn them so that you can buy the kind of portable ultrasound machine which will match your requirements. With that thought in mind, here are the top buying tips for portable ultrasound machines:
- Purpose of the machine: First, you must identify what you will use the portable ultrasound machine for. This will allow you to figure out what features you want the machine to have. For example, if there isn't going to be a power supply nearby where you intended to use the machine, then the lifetime of the battery will be important. The most common uses for a portable sound a machine are cardio, vascular and cardiac echo.
- Key features: Portable ultrasound machines can come with a variety of features. For example, if you need to do a cardiac test then a stress echo is required, and possibly with color if you want the clarity of the image to be high. Furthermore, if the distance from the patient to the machine will be relatively long, then the wiring connecting the scanner and the machine also needs to be of a long length.
- New or used: Used medical equipment has the advantage of being considerably cheaper than new ones. They are typically refurbished by medical technicians that can get the machines working just like new. However, the downside of refurbished equipment is that it will not have the technological advances of the new equipment. This can prove to make your job more difficult when using it to treat patients.
- Negotiate when buying in bulk: If you need 10, 30, or even 100 units, then don't hesitate to negotiate on the price. When buying anything in bulk there is an opportunity to cut down on the unit price if you are willing to negotiate.
- Research the unit: When buying a portable ultrasound machine don't simply look at what the manufacturer's website is saying. Instead take the time to look at what the users of such devices are reporting. Fellow doctors will be able to give an unbiased opinion that will highlight the bad and good points of the machine. If the majority consensus is that there are far too many limitations for a particular model, then you can take advantage of that information and simply look for another model.